Wednesday, August 24, 2011

"Their Parents"

The Navy has given us such an amazing opportunity in so many regards. While I am beyond grateful for all that it has to offer us, there are downsides which can't be avoided. I'm starting this blog with the hopes of making one of those negative aspects a little easier to handle.

We currently live on the complete opposite end of the continental United States from our families. Andy and I both grew up in South Florida (which is where we met back in our high school days. Ha. I say that like it was years and years ago! Neither of us are even close to approaching a 10 year reunion any time soon.). His parents have moved to the panhandle of Florida and my family is still down south.
For both his parents and my mom, the little girl we have arriving in about 2 months, will be their first grandchild. While neither of us can completely comprehend how exciting it is to become grandparents, we do know that it isn't an "ideal" situation having us live 3,000 miles away.
Regardless of where the Navy ends up taking us and the number of miles between us and the rest of our family (and friends!), we want to include them all in our "oh so exciting" life. I want to keep everyone who is interested, updated with the tiny little excitements that are about to head our way.

So for a little background information now (just in case our parents have forgotten who we are):
Like I said earlier, Andy and I both grew up in South Florida. We met back in 2002 thanks to marching band. After being friends all through high school, I graduated in 2005 and moved on to "bigger and better" things. You know, college things that did not include hanging out with my still in high school friend. Andrew graduated a year after I did and joined the Navy, leaving that July. After about a year of not talking (due to my stupid self), we got back in touch with each other and decided we officially would start dating. Here we are now, 4 years later, married and expecting our first child. Looking back at high school, neither of us ever thought at that point in time, that we would end up here....together.
Now it's completely natural and neither of us would change anything. I'm guessing that's a good thing considering the fact that we are married and all ;)

We have a "ridiculous" relationship and people still tell us how much they love us together and how cute we are. Whoa, hold on. Cute? I don't know if cute is one of the words I would use but, we are who we are and we just fit. Cute definitely is not a good descriptive word of us. We are silly together and have no problems laughing at each other's quirks and mistakes..even out in public. You mispronounce a simple word because you get a little tongue tied? You can bet your butt will be called out on it. That's just how we are. Of course, of course we support one another when we need it, but you can't be all love and support all of the time!
Here are a few photographic examples of our shenanigans...

Our wedding day, October 2, 2010


One evening at one of our local restaurants called Flyers


Thanksgiving day, 2008 (after 2? dinners)

Oh...did I say photographic evidence of our shenanigans? Hm. Well, I can't seem to think of any pictures that both of us are being super ridiculous in. But I promise, even though I am the more serious one, we have our fun and balance each other out very well!

I sure hope that I am able to keep this thing going once the baby does get here, because I really would like to keep everyone filled in on baby happenings. Babies are exciting. Sure they cry and poop a lot, but who doesn't love a fat face on a misshaped head? They make silly faces and drive their parents crazy. All fun stuff that you will definitely want to know about...right?!



And because I feel slightly bad that Andy didn't get to show his "good" side, here is a normal picture of the two of us



Christmas, 2008





Next up: Hunter-Gatherer puppy
Then: Mason-Dixon puppy
After that: Hummingbird Hippopotamus (human...not a puppy. Or hummingbird. Or hippopotamus.)

No comments:

Post a Comment